Saturday, June 30, 2012

June Update


 Hi Everyone!

It's hard to believe we're already half-way through 2012. It seems like the year is going by so fast! Jake and I have been having a busy month, mostly with work, but here are some highlights:

We got to spend Father's Day week-end in Orillia with my family, and went to my aunt and uncle's place for an extended family get-together. We also had dinner with Jake's family the next day, so it was a truly celebratory week-end.

My brother came for a week-end at the end of May, and it was nice to spend some time with him; we were happy to show him some of our favourite spots in Cambridge.


  Jake's company has planned a couple of fun activities for the summer, and last week-end was Canoeing on the Grand. It was only an 1 ½ trip, and included a BBQ at the end. We enjoyed the beautiful weather, the serene and picturesque view from the river, and spending time with some friends.
 In our spare time we've been visiting with friends, going for walks by the river, and eating delicious foods. We've discovered Monday nights at the Symposium Cafe, where they have a burger special: they're only $3.75 each! It makes for a cheap but delicious date night.
I was able to get up to Orillia again this week to celebrate the graduations of both my youngest brother and youngest sister.  It was wonderful to catch up with family and friends alike.


I finished my job at Golden Triangle Taxi last Saturday, and my last shift consisted of four hours of the bar rush. It was uneventful, but I am looking forward to my upcoming teaching position in a couple of weeks. Jake's Timothy group, which is mentorship training for young men, met for the last time on Sunday. He has enjoyed being a part of that, and will now have to wait until September to meet with them again.

We have many things to be thankful to the Lord for:
-Some funds for our missions trip to Brasil have started to come in!
-We know more information regarding the trip. We will be teaching ESL to the Brazilians at the training centre, as well as interacting with them in informal situations.
-Since finishing my job at Golden Triangle, Jake and I now have the same schedule (Read: I'm not working in the afternoons anymore when Jake is at home) We have more time to pray for our trip, and focus on details and planning.
-God has been growing us and teaching us continually, especially in patience and waiting upon Him

We also ask for continued prayer for:
-my upcoming teaching job: I will be teaching ESL to Korean students from July 9-Aug. 17. Aside from lesson planning, please be in prayer with me for any students involved who do not know Christ.
-provision of more funds
-continually improving communication between ourselves and our ministry contacts
-prep for our trip (VISAS, flight, etc)
-trip to BC: I will be going from July 2-8 for a very dear friend's wedding. Please pray for travel safety as well as blessing upon my friend and her fiance.
-unity between Jake and I
-upcoming youth retreat in September: Jake will be the main speaker for a friend's youth group retreat. Please pray as he prepares for this.

Love,
Ashleigh and Jake

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ash and Jake
    Thanks for setting up a new blog spot that we can keep abreast with you as you prepare to travel.
    We will look forward to reading many more as you work towards your upcoming mission trip and daily activities.
    As always, we will keep you in our prayers.
    Much love from Nan and Pops xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Followers